The march 31, 1948 decree of the USSR council of ministers and the CPSU central commission established design bureau no. 143 for designing unconventionally-powered fast submarines.
In October next year, Bureau No. 16 came into existence and it was expected that it would design light and heavy cruisers. In February 1974, a quarter of a century later, these two design bureaus were merged into one – the Malachit St. Petersburg Marine Engineering Design Bureau [...]