The authors of the Memorial of Military Glory, located at the plant museum, are Leningrad sculptor Anatoly Dema and the Sevmash chief architect department’s specialists Sergey Barabash, Eugeny Egorov, Nikolai Zykov, Lyudmila Leschenko, Eugeny Nazarov, Natalya Nedobezhkina, Yury Kambarov and Nikolai Mardensky. Edge plates and letters for surnames were cast at the plant. Granite for the memorial was brought from Kiev.
The memorial was opened on May 7, 1985. A sculpture of the Mother Victory in an image of the ancient Greek Goddess Nike is in its center. She holds a laurel branch in one hand and a bowl with an eternal flame in her other. Two steles, assembled from pieces of metal, carry gun and machine-gun barrels, cases, cartridges, torpedo and bomb cases. The steles are mounted on a podium, on the granite slabs of which the names of the enterprise’s employees who never returned from the war are cast. The first slabs with the names were laid by war participants Nikolai Kubintsev, Gennady Vershinin and other veterans. A path leads from the sculpture to a memorial stone, which is a firing base. A helmet, a PPSh submachine gun, and a ground sheet are on it. Two sea mines at the entrance personify the port of Molotovsk during the war. There are thirteen granite slabs with the names and stars of the hero towns along the perimeter of the memorial. Capsules with holy ground are laid in the niches of the slabs. The memorial is surrounded by blue spruces and flower beds. Its total area is 1300 square meters.
The idea to perpetuate the merits of shipbuilders belongs to Sevmash and the Kurchatov Institute. The monument was designed by Sevmash designers and architects. A sculpture of a worker holding a submarine with a flying national flag above his head was chosen from several variants. The monument was opened on September 22, 1983, in the year of the 25th anniversary of the construction of the first Russian nuclear submarine K-3.
The monument became the hallmark of Shop 42. That’s where the acquaintance of young workers and specialists with production begins. “You enter the shop where the first nuclear submarine was born” - with these words the acquaintance with the monument ends.
Soviet physicist, Academician Anatoly Alexandrov assumed scientific supervision of the development of the country’s first Project 627 nuclear submarine built at Sevmash. In memory of his work and stay at Sevmash during the construction of the nuclear submarine K-3, memorial plaques were installed on the Shop 42’s building, as well as on the house along Sovetskaya Street in November 1995.
On 8 August last year, the ceremonial opening of the memorial plaque to Alexander Alpin, the inventor of highly reliable thrust and support bearings for ships and vessels of all classes and purposes, the designer of noise absorption devices, unique shock absorbers, was held at the Sevmash’s design bureau. His designs are protected by 44 patents and copyright certificates, he published over 80 works. He started working at Sevmash in 1956 as a builder in Department 5 and then moved to the design bureau of the enterprise. Alpin’s developments were widely used not only in shipbuilding, but also in the metallurgical and oil industries and even in medicine.
Shipbuilding engineer Sergei Bogolyubov ran the plant in 1942-1949. Difficult war and post-war years fell to his lot, but, despite the difficulties, Bogolyubov made an enormous contribution to the development of Sevmash. In wartime, he managed to mobilize the personnel, establish production process, improve the day-to-day lives of the people, and to bring the plant among the leaders in the industry. Bogolyubov was repressed unreasonably and then rehabilitated in 1954.
On September 8, 2007, a memorial plaque in his honor was solemnly opened on the building of Sevmash’s repair/mechanical shop 17, where the plant’s management and the director’s office were previously located. The plaque is installed on the day of the 100th anniversary of Bogolyubov.
Sergei Kovalev, an outstanding Soviet and Russian scientist, shipbuilder, general designer of strategic nuclear submarines, supervised the development and construction of a submarine powered by a steam-gas turbine unit. In 1958, he was appointed chief designer for the project of the first nuclear submarine armed with ballistic missiles launched from a surface position. Later he became chief designer of the Project 941 nuclear submarine - the third-generation giants. Kovalev worked closely with Sevmash specialists during the construction of these boats and often visited Severodvinsk. One of Sevmash’s embankments was named in his honor on August 15, 2011. There is also a plaque commemorating the designer.
Pavel Konovalov, process engineer of Plant 402, tanker, participant of the Great Patriotic War, Hero of the Soviet Union, arrived in Plant No. 402 in Severodvinsk upon graduation from the Ural industrial Institute where he worked from 1940 to 1942, before leaving for the front. Konovalov died heroically in a battle for the city of Stolzbergen. The title of Hero of the Soviet Union was awarded to him posthumously. In Severodvinsk, there are three plaques commemorating the hero. One of them is located in a part of the Sevmash management building occupied by the science and technology division. Two other plaques were opened at 2a Konovalov Street and in school 30.
Sergei Korolev is a Soviet scientist, designer, organizer of the production of rocket and space equipment and missile weapons, and the founder of practical cosmonautics. His development activities on missile weapons were closely associated with the defense enterprises of Severodvinsk, so he often visited the town. To perpetuate the memory of Korolev, a memorial plaque was installed on the territory of Sevmash, on the facade of the Shop 22 building, in November 1995.
The shipbuilding engineer, head of a hull shop at Sevmash, Innokentiy Bakhtin was one of the few veterans of the city and the plant who saw the birth of the plant and was personally involved in it. He made a personal contribution to the construction of almost all the ships delivered by the plant during his employment. Bakhtin handed over his personal library - a unique book collection comprising about ten thousand volumes of rare and valuable publications on literature and history of the Fatherland - to the city. Sevmash took the initiative to perpetuate his memory. On August 26, 2005, a memorial plaque was solemnly opened. It is installed on the facade of house 13 on Lenin Prospect. Its author is sculptor Vyacheslav Gavrilkin.
Eugeny Egorov is a shipbuilding engineer, scientist in underwater shipbuilding, doctor of engineering, professor, Hero of Socialist Labor, and a director of Sevmash. In 1965, he was appointed the first rector of the Severodvinsk branch of the Leningrad Shipbuilding Institute. Plaques with his name were installed at 6/34 Lenin Prospect, and in the lobby of the Institute of Shipbuilding and Marine Arctic Technology. The latter was cast at Sevmash upon the project of artist and sculptor Savelyev. The bas-relief of Egorov is distinguished for its fine workmanship. The author managed to convey a portrait likeness and note the most characteristic features of this strong-willed and highly intelligent person. A copy of the memorial plaque, also cast at Sevmash, was sent to Nikolaev and installed in the Naval Institute, which Egorov graduated from in 1931 and where he taught in the last years of his life.
The shipbuilding engineer, head of building-commission facilities at Sevmash, worked at the plant from 1941 to 1991. In wartime, he was directly involved in the implementation of defense programs, repair of warships. He taught in the shipbuilding college and was repeatedly elected to the Council of People’s Deputies. Sevmash took the initiative to perpetuate the memory of Kamai. The opening of a memorial plaque on the facade of house along Sovetskaya Street was timed to the anniversary of the death of Israel Kamai.
The first head of the construction of shipbuilding plant 402 and the town of Severodvinsk. In May 1936, Ivan Kirilkin was appointed head of the construction of plant 402 and the working village of Sudostroy, which later received the name Severodvinsk. In 1938, Kirilkin was repressed, died in 1942 in one of the camps in the Kirov region. In 1956, he was fully rehabilitated. In October 1982, one of the new streets of the town was named after the first head of construction. In August 1988, a memorial plaque was opened at 13 Kirilkin Street.
The shipbuilding engineer, chief engineer of Sevmash from 2004 to 2008, worked at the plant since 1964 and went from assistant master to chief engineer of the enterprise. For more than twenty years, Kondrashov was a commissioning mechanic on all lead ships of each project. Between 1986 and 1997, he led the entire development and research activities at Sevmash. Kondrashov made a great contribution to the development of shipbuilding. Sevmash took an initiative to perpetuate his memory in Severodvinsk. A memorial plaque was solemnly opened at 8 Lenin Prospect on May 6, 2009, on Kondrashov’s birthday.
The shipbuilding engineer, honorary veteran of Sevmash, chairman of the Severodvinsk city administration, arrived at Sevmash in 1951 after graduating from the Gorky Polytechnic Institute named after A. Zhdanov and worked there in various positions from 1951 to 1961 and from 1972 to 1998. Working as deputy general director for production, Orlov made an enormous contribution to the development of the enterprise: he carried out work to improve production planning and the organization of manufacturing non-standard equipment for shops that were being built and reconstructed. In 1961, Orlov became the chairman of the Severodvinsk city administration and worked in this position for eleven years, becoming the youngest city leader in his 33 years. Sevmash took the initiative to perpetuate the memory of Orlov in Severodvinsk. On November 23, 2003, it was decided to mount a memorial plaque on the facade of house 39 on Pervomaiskaya Street.
Shipbuilder, director of Sevmash, president of the Russian State Nuclear Shipbuilding Center, and Hero of Russia, David H. Pashaev made a great contribution to the development of naval shipbuilding and was at the forefront of the Russian State Nuclear Shipbuilding Center. With his direct participation and under his direction, Sevmash built Project 941, 949, 949A nuclear submarines. In the difficult 1990s, David Pashaev made a lot of efforts to preserve Sevmash and Severodvinsk and literally saved the entire nuclear submarine shipbuilding industry in Russia from destruction. A plaque on the facade of house 50/12 on Sovetskaya Street was opened on July 19, 2011.
Shipbuilding engineer, director of Sevmash from 1972 to 1986, came to Severodvinsk in 1943 after graduating from the Nikolaev Shipbuilding Institute. At the plant, Prosyankin worked as foreman, section head, and shop foreman. In 1956, he was appointed director of the Zvezdochka enterprise. In February 1972, he became director of Sevmash and worked in this position until his retirement in April 1986. On January 6, 2000, a memorial plaque was opened at 10 Lenin Prospect on the 80th birthday of Grigory Prosyankin.
Control systems for all ballistic missiles launched from submarines were developed under the direction of Nikolai Semikhatov, chief designer of the control Systems for submarine-launched ballistic missiles, Academician of the Academy of Sciences of the USSR and the Russian Academy of Sciences, Hero of Socialist Labor. He worked closely with Sevmash on the deployment and operation of control systems of ballistic missiles deployed on Sevmash-built submarines. On June 21, 2007, a memorial plaque was solemnly opened in his memory at 57 Pervomaiskaya Street.
The would-be chief process engineer of Sevmash and the Hero of Socialist Labor arrived at plant 402 in 1941, after graduating from the Leningrad Shipbuilding Institute. Slesarevich began his career as assistant foreman in the hull shop. During the war years he worked as head of the process bureau. Since 1952 he led all the process services at the plant. He made a great contribution to increasing the plant’s capacity for the development of completely new construction technologies required for nuclear submarines. He was one of the initiators of using computer technology in the design and process activities, re-equipping the enterprise, applying the latest science and technology achievements, and introducing advanced technologies. Slesarevich worked at Sevmash for 40 years, was directly involved in the construction and delivery of all ships, without exception, which were under construction at the plant at that time. A plaque was installed on the initiative of Sevmash on December 21, 2001 at 24/2a Tortsev Street.
Nikolai Chesnokov, the first builder of Severodvinsk, veteran of the Great Patriotic War, Hero of the Soviet Union, arrived in the village of Sudostroy in May 1938 on Komsomol assignment. In 1939 he was drafted into the Red Army. After demobilization, the senior sergeant Chesnokov graduated from the evening department of a technical school, worked as foreman, senior foreman, and then as section chief at plant 402 for a long time. In August 1983, a memorial plaque in his honor was installed on the facade of house 24/2a on Polyarnaya Street, in which Chesnokov lived.
Shipbuilding engineer, historian and regional ethnographer Leonid Shmigelsky taught at the Severodvinsk Shipbuilding Technical School. In 1961–1984 he worked in the design department at Sevmash, was a head of group, a head of pressure hull and strong structures bureau, a head of the bureau for strength and load analysis and the theory of the ship. He is the author of over 200 publications on the history of northern navigation and shipbuilding. On November 9, 2001, a memorial plaque in his honor was opened in one of the classrooms of the Severodvinsk Technical College.
The shipbuilding engineer, organizer of the shipbuilding industry, and the participant in the development of the first nuclear submarine Leninsky Komsomol and boats of subsequent generations worked at Sevmash from June 1950. Since 1981, Shousharin was the chief process engineer of the enterprise, since July 1988 the chief engineer. In addition, Shousharin was directly involved in establishing the State Russian Nuclear Shipbuilding Center around the Severodvinsk defense facilities, and was the author of many works in shipbuilding. On May 20, 2010, the ceremony of opening a plaque in his memory was held at 3 Sedov Street.